All Banking complaints against Financial institutions regulated by the Central Bank Of Nigeria (CBN) must be lodged through the appropriate channels otherwise your complaint may not get the required attention.
Cases of unauthorized debits, ATM dispense errors, Failed PoS transactions, Unauthorized transactions, Interest earned on Savings account but not paid, Interest overcharge, Unjustifiable deductions from your account and others, must first be reported to your Bank for resolution.
Commercial Banks, Primary Mortgage Institutions (PMIs), Discount Houses and Micro Finance Banks (MFBs) regulated by CBN must resolve your banking complaints within two weeks of complain.
Only when your Bank is unable to unresolved your complaint within 2 weeks that you may seek redress from CBN. This is as recommended by the CBN’s Consumer Protection Department .
Complaints of all types as long as it is against a Financial Institution under CBN supervision must be directed to the Consumer Protection Department of CBN. And can only be done as last resort only if your Financial Institution failed to resolve your complaints after 2 weeks of complain.
Consumer Protection Department contact details
Via e-mail: Send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Via a letter: Direct your letter to The Director, Consumer Protection Department, Central Business District, Abuja. Your letter can be submitted at the CBN head office, Abuja or at any Central Bank of Nigeria branch offices nationwide.
You are to ensure that your complaint (Letter or email) is unambiguous, clear and concise. It is important that your letter contains the following details:
- Your contact details (Name, Phone Number, Contact and e-mail address).
- Your Banking details, only your account number/s and account name/s (You are not to disclose your BVN, ATM, Mobile Banking and Online Banking details).
- Financial Institution details.
- History and Date of the transaction/s in dispute
- Claim/s details including amount (if any). You are to attach relevant documents to support your claim/s.
- Evidence that shows that you have lodged the complaint at your bank earlier.
You can also click the link below to have access to the CBN portal where you can lodge your complaints quickly if you want to avoid writing and sending emails.
Read also: Avoid these banking mistakes