Knowing how to alert your bank in the event of compromise to you banking details may be a life saver in a critical situation.
An unfortunate compromise of your online banking password, ATM pin, mobile banking details or even lost of your phone or ATM card can happen anytime. This will leave you at the mercy of a fraudster waiting to steal from your bank account.
In such an emergency situation, running into the bank to request that your account be blocked may be a task too late (especially if it falls on a weekend) to prevent your money from being stolen and your account being emptied.
It is important however, to note that you need to have your bank NUBAN account number handy with other private information that may be requested by your bank in other to ensure you are the true owner of the bank account you are making demands on.
Here are codes of some banks that could be used to block your bank account in necessary situations
- UBA, dial *919*10# from the bank account registered
- Fidelity Bank dial *770911# from the mobile line linked to your account
- IBTC Bank dial *909# from the mobile line linked to your account and select my bank and select service request then select block card
- Zenith Bank dial *966*911#
- First Bank send Block to 30012 via text message
- Union Bank send BLOCK CARD NUBAN to 20123
- Keystone Bank call 23470020003000
- Sterling Bank call 070078378464
- GT Bank *73751*10#
- EcoBank text STOP ATM your account Number to 0806326226
- FCMB Bank call + 2342798800
- Access call +23412802500
- Wema Bank call 08039003700
- Polaris call +2341270850
Here are some other equally useful codes:
- To check your BVN – *565*0#
- National Identification Number (NIN) – *346#
- NHF registration/number – *219#.
Please note that these codes will only work on the phone number you registered with your bank or you have used for registration.